Taming Power Struggles, with Kathy Salazar

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Do you find yourself in power struggles without knowing how you got there or how to escape? Pickup and practice some new language strategies that actually prevent the battles, defuse conflict and empower both you and your child to search for and reach positive solutions. Emphasis is on the ‘power of choice’ for children and
parents, maintaining parental influence and teaching responsibility and respect. Appropriate and applicable to parents of children of all ages - toddlers to teens.

You won't want to miss this session!


2 comments:

  1. Thought I would be the first to add a comment to the blog! I am loving this. You guys are inspiring and motivating to say the least.

    Kathy, I was sad to get there late last night - but what a fantastic topic - And a great turnout! I am inspired to use my "choose, decide, and pick". Now I know how to address my 4 year old in this area... any advice for when it involves her 1 year old sibling??

    Looking forward to future discussions. =) So far so good ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how many times I've heard you and Shaila discuss that topic, but for some reason, it stuck with me more this time. Maybe it was because I didn't have my kids with me! I've always been good at offering choices throughout the day but now I'm remembering to use the language of choice more often. I just insert the word choose/chose into sentences I'm already saying. The other day, tyler had been playing on a tricycle and then moved on to sand toys but when another kid got on the tricycle, he yelled "Mine!" and ran over and tried to push her off. I started to say "You were riding the tricycle but now you're playing with sand toys." Then I changed it to "You were riding the tricycle and then you CHOSE to play with sand toys. When you choose to play with something else, other kids can choose to ride the tricycle." It gave his choice more ownership and he reluctantly let go. As always, I thank you so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete